President Rodrigo Duterte’s order for the public to continue wearing masks stays even after Cebu province defied such a policy, according to Malacañang.,Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia last week made the use of face masks optional in well-ventilated and open spaces, contradicting the national government’s directive to mandate its use in all public areas.,“The Chief Executive’s directive is clear: Continue wearing face masks, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government has instructed the Philippine National Police to implement the existing IATF resolution on wearing of face masks accordingly,” acting presidential spokesperson Secretary Martin Andanar said on Tuesday.,[Related story: DoH: Wearing masks still best way to keep low Covid-19 infection rate],The Palace official also echoed the legal opinion of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra that the “mandatory wearing of face masks shall prevail over the executive orders by local government units” including the directive issued by the provincial government of Cebu.,Guevarra said earlier this week that the task force’s resolution on the face mask requirement was “incorporated in and/or enabled by executive orders” issued by the President, who has supervision over local governments.,Garcia, who was reelected for a new term, had defended her directive by saying that Covid-19 protocols had been relaxed during the election campaign and that her order benefits Cebu residents.,The Department of Health has since said that wearing face masks should still be observed amid an uptick in coronavirus infections and detection of more contagious Covid-19 variants.,The interior department also said that cops would “arrest, if necessary” those who will not wear masks outdoors.